Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Skewed View of Marriage Part 1

Background: My best friend needed help with a poetry class assignment. This was the first result of that. Originally it had to be about marriage with no emotion or mention of "love", so this is what I gave her.

What good is a promise you cannot keep
What point in trying when history wants to repeat?
When it struck two generations, figured it a coincidence
But when it hit my mother, couldn't help but wonder if I was next

Thought, "There's a man who can sweep me off my feet."
Till five years later when he's knocked me to my knees
Throwing around words like "unhappy", "unsatisfied" - "suffocated"
Then he's walking out the door, and I can't take it
Shake myself out of this glimpse of a potential future
Don't want to take the chance that I'll end up like her
Rather miss out altogether, stay alone, just as I am
Because marriage has become a lie;
Yeah, congratulations - you've turned it into a sham

No comments:

Post a Comment