Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Progression

Background: Wrote it 02/22/2008. It's kind of self-explanatory. I really like it except for the end. Maybe one day I'll edit it. Funny thing is, it's still not over. The progression. Maybe I'll keep updating it, but six months of 19 and 20 weren't notable enough to fit into this poem ha

Six months of sixteen, and it was all falling apart
Forced to trudge through bleak halls with something heavy on my heart
Cliche like the day I had my first vodka shot
But it couldn't get worse from there, or so I thought

I stood there helplessly as friends were snatched away
Screamed and cried, but the temptation stayed
The world don't stop for no one as it corrupts young souls
Vivid visions I'll have to live with till I grow old

Like her subtle decay from great to skank
There purely one minutes before the pressure took her away
Now she's hit rock bottom, and I don't think life's fair
Crying because it's irreversible. Crying because I still cared.

Six months of seventeen - it's better, but worse
The main problem's out of my life, but I think I've been cursed
Friendships ended, the implications set in
As I lie to myself, deny that I want it to be "back then"

Turn a corner, and it's a confrontation with my past
Innocence and naivete that I swore would last
But now the world around me was hell, and I was about to slip in it
Vague tugging in my heart, pleading with me not to do it

Big dreams crashed in the rubble with my youth
Then the defilement of love - that word is so screwed
At least in regards to marriages ripped apart
By a desperate little whore with a blackened heart

Six months of eighteen - all I can do is smile
I think I'll embrace this peace for awhile
Like for the rest of my life - why stop it now?
Thanks to constant searching by my Lord, my soul's finally re-found

External circumstances still burn, but it's a singe I ignore
Set a match to all that was before
Ashes of the past come together to burn brightly in my life
Was a mess back then, but now it's all right

That two year drought of angsty adolescence
It's raining hard now - the stressing never happened
It all happens for a reason - some call it fate
I call it God bestowing me with strength

I'd live through the pain again
If I knew I'd come out like this in the end

No comments:

Post a Comment